Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: cat 5e wire in house walls - plenum or not

  1. #1
    Inactive Member andyottawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    My new house is being built and the contractor is installing cat5e wire and I would like to know if the code specifies that the wire has to be plenum grade (I guess it means teflon) because of its fire and smoke resistant qualities. This requirement is mentioned on many websites but I was hoping for confirmation that this is indeed a requirement. Thanks and I hope this is on topic.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member andyottawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the information J.P.D. It's not my contractor that is insisting on plenum grade, it's me. I want plenum grade but the salesman doesn't seem to know what i'm talking about. Am I stuck with him because he is the wiring contractor for the housing developer? I don't have any experience in this but I figured he should! What would happen if I insisted on plenum grade and he installed the pvc? Is this only a concern in a fire or is there a possbility of toxic fumes otherwise? And where/how do I check the local codes? Thanks again, and any replies appreciated.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jpdowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have done some more checking, in the B.C. code there is a Bulletin 2-8-0.
    Your supplier should be know the "FT" ratings marked on the cable.
    FT1 -
    FT4 -
    FT6 -

    FT6 in B.C. is encouraged for use in a plenum. In a residence I would most likely use FT4 rated cable. And save the more expensive FT6 for commercial, where the dropped ceiling is a return air space.
    I hope I may have helped answer your question

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jpdowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If your electrical contractor is any good, then trust his advice.
    The C.E.C. rule 2-126 and appendix B states that the flame spread requirements for wires and cables can be found in the National Building Code. See article 3.1.4.3
    Also check your local codes.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member twh's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    CEC Appendix B (Notes on 2-126), and Note 22 to Table 19. MPP, CMP, MPR, CMR, MPG, CMG, and FT6 meet the criteria for FT4.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •